Cara L. Carlson February 2015
Cara L. Carlson, Ph.D., MSW, LICSW, RYT-200, EMDR Certified
- Ph.D., Psychology, Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Palo Alto, CA, 2009. Concentration: Transpersonal Psychology. Dissertation Topic: Exploring a Communities Approach to the Sacred Feminine.
- M.S.W., Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN, 1993. Concentration: Family Practice. Thesis: Adolescent Female Survivors of Child Sexual Trauma.
- B.A., Social Work, College of St. Catherine, St. Paul, MN, 1990. Undergraduate Research Project: Women’s Self Report of Child Sexual Abuse
PROFESSIONAL SOCIAL WORK FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT:
- Integral Clinical Psychotherapist, Supervisor and Consultant. March 2007 – Present. Anam Cara Therapies, Minneapolis MN.
- Social Work Clinical Faculty. September 2008 – May 2012. St. Catherine University/University of St. Thomas School of Social Work, St. Paul, MN. Courses taught in both BSW and MSW Programs, i.e. Field and practice classes, Human Behavior in the Social Environment, Family Resiliency and Diversity, Applied Graduate Research Seminar.
- Senior Social Worker and Cultural Guide. May 1998 – March 2007. Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, Minneapolis, MN.
- Senior Social Worker. February 1995 – May 1998. Village Social Services,(Formerly, Hennepin County Children and Family Services) Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, Minneapolis, MN
- Support Group Manager. May 1993 – February 1995. Chrysalis, A Center for Women, Minneapolis, MN
- Prenatal Health Clinic Coordinator. July 1990 – October 1993. Face-to-Face Health and Counseling Services, Inc., St. Paul, MN
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS AND TRAININGS- Please see “Trainings” page
PROGRAM CONSULTATION, DEVELOPMENT, AND MANAGEMENT:
- 2012-Present. Social Work Supervisor and Program Consultant: Daily Work, St. Paul, MN.
- 2012-Present. Clinical Supervisor and Director, ARMHS Program: Beechwood, Inc., Minneapolis, MN.
- 2010-2012. Cultural Guide, Clinical Supervisor and Lead Organizer: Circle of Healing Practitioner’s CHAT: An Integral Community Care Giving System. Cultural Wellness Center, Allina Backyard Initiative, Minneapolis, MN.
- 2006 – Present. Director and Cultural Trainer/Community Teacher: The Tree and The Well, Institute for Deep Cultural Studies: The institute’s mission: Within a community context participants study, research, practice, celebrate, and integrate the knowledge, folk traditions, and ancient wisdom of the peoples of Europe. In addition to teaching classes, as the director my responsibilities include visioning, recruitment of teachers and students and oversight of all classes, processes, website, verbal and written communication. Minneapolis, MN.
- 2004 – 2006. Program Manager and Supervisor: Hennepin County Community Guardians and Grandmothers Project: Program working with African American families with children in out of home placement. Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, Minneapolis, MN
- 1998 – 2006. Community Organizer and Developer: Community Care-giving Model, Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center. Developed and implemented model using community and clinical social work methods. Facilitated collaboration of Center staff, local health and social service providers, and neighborhood residents. Facilitated neighborhood engagement in the process of taking responsibility of their health, families, and communities. Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, Minneapolis, MN
- 1995 -1997. Program Manager: The Village Rent Subsidy Program, The Village. Supervised staff and interns working with homeless families. Coordinated financial assistance and case management services. The Village Family Services, Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department, Minneapolis, MN
- 1995 – 2003. Trainer and Consultant: Co-parenting Workshops, Storefront Youth Action, and Chrysalis, A Center for Women, Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN
- 1992 – 1995. Support Group Manager: Trained and supervised 120+ volunteers in group facilitation and counseling skills. Provided clinical consultation for 20 support groups in content areas of: self-worth, empowerment, uncoupling, exploring sexual orientation/coming out, lesbian, women over 40 experiencing change, women of color, and single mothers. Chrysalis, A Center for Women, Minneapolis, MN
- 1988 – 1991 Curriculum Developer and Trainer: Empowerment Training Model for Families, low-income and homeless families in a variety of settings, MN.
Doctoral Dissertation and Thesis Project
- Carlson, Cara (2009). On the rim of the cauldron: Exploring a community’s approach to the sacred feminine tradition (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database. (UMI No. 3371950)
- Carlson, Cara (1992 – 1993). Adolescent Female Survivors of Child Sexual Trauma: Program Development (Master’s Thesis). Augsburg College, Minneapolis, MN
Cultural Community Research and Review Board
- Member: The Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, Minneapolis, MN (2008-2011)
Research Acting Committee Chair
- Social Workers’ Perceptions of Adoptions by Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Questioning (LGBQ) Families by Sarah R. Shafer. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- Native American Children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: A Social Workers’ Perspective. By Bobi L. Spaeth. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- The Role of Spirituality in Recovery from Addiction for Lesbians by Mary N. Bye. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- Clinicians Perceptions of Ambiguous Loss in Families of Veterans. by Kathryn M. Conery. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- Exploring the Presence of Traumatic Brain Injury in the Transitional Housing Setting. by Janet L. Westlund. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- Increasing Adherence Among Dialysis Patients Through Social Work Interventions. by Bobbi Losure. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- The Influences of Attachment Styles on Adult Relationships: Clinicians’ Perspectives. by Stephanie Strand. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- The Relationship Between a Woman and Her Horse: How This Information Can Assist Clinical Social Workers by Jessica L. Bruyere. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011)
- Yoga as an Adjunct to Psychotherapy. by Michelle Cosgrove. University of St. Catherine/St. Thomas University. MSW Clinical Research Project (2010-2011).
- Carlson, Cara & Vangen, Kara (2010). On the rim of the cauldron: Woman looking at the world as herself. CreateSpace: Minneapolis, MN.
- Smith, Amelia and Carlson, Cara (2009). Creating a Therapeutic Healing Relationship.Mental Health and Therapy ZINE, University of Minnesota, Icarus Project.
- Carlson, Cara (2009). On the rim of the cauldron: Exploring a community’s approach to the sacred feminine tradition (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest: Dissertations and Theses database. (UMI No. 3371950)
- Wiley Press: Spiritually-Oriented Counseling: Helping Clients Reclaim Their Real Self, by Dr. Rick Johnson
COMMUNITY ORGANIZING AND DEVELOPMENT:
- 2012 Engaging Diversity and Difference: Addressing Economic Injustice. One-time event for SCU/UST School of Social Work. Faculty Advisor, Beta Epsilon Honor Society.
- 2011 Spring Event: Engaging Diversity and Difference. One-time event for SCU/UST School of Social Work. Faculty Advisor, Beta Epsilon Honor Society.
- 2010 Self-care for Social Workers, One-time event for SCU/UST School of Social Work community of staff, educators and students. Faculty Advisor, student self-care task group.
- 2010 Honor Your Father and Mother: The Devastating Effects of Poverty on Seniors. With Father Michael M. Boland. Coordinator of one-time event
- 2009 Racial Injustice: A View From the Pyramid: The Paradigm. With Father Clarence Williams, CPPS, Ph.D. Coordinator of one-time event
- 2006 Inspired Arts: An Experiential Community Celebration: Performance, visual art and cultural educational workshops.
- 2002 – 2004. Health Care Providers and Healing Circles Collaboration, Co-organizer and facilitator of on-going healthcare providers group.
- 1999 – 2005 Martin Luther King Racial Healing Breakfast, Co-organizer with Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association. Annual event.
- 1999 – 2000 Community Reconciliation, Co-organizer with Global Education Associates.
- 1999 – 2000 Community Reconciliation Project, Co-organizer with Big Woods Project.
- 1999 – 2000 Children’s Community Projects, Co-organizer with Flower Power collaborations.
- 1998 – 2003 Latino Growers Initiative: Co-organizer.
- 2000 Honoring our Community Seniors: Organizer and Co-facilitator of event.
- 1999 Honoring Elder Women Neighborhood Celebration: Organizer and Co-facilitator.
- 1999 Low Income Home Ownership Workshops: Co-organizer with Fannie Mae & MN Mortgage Brokers Association.
- 1999 Violence in our Community: Created and co-facilitated four community forums on Violence, in collaboration with World Work Process Minnesota.
- 1995 Mother: Building a New Foundation: Conference organizer and speaker.
- 1995 Men of Destiny: To Bring Back the Family: Conference organizer.
Community Classes and Group Facilitation:
2000 – Present On the Rim of the Cauldron, Woman Looking at the World as Herself: Co-creator and teacher. A year-long course of psycho-spiritual development and healing for women. Currently 50 students enrolled in a year-long class.
1998 – Present Cultural Guide and Facilitator: Facilitator of over 300 community ceremonies and celebrations and over 90 personal healing circles for people going through illness, life transitions, and rites of passages for children and adults.
2005 – 2008 Mindfulness Training for Beginners: Created curriculum and taught 4-part class, annually.
2002 – 2011 Body Cleansing and Mindfulness: Created curriculum and taught 3-part class, annually.
2001 – 2007 Young Women’s Support Circle: Facilitator and teacher, several eight week groups and on-going monthly gatherings and mentoring.
2000 – 2006 Mother’s Circle for Health and Healing: Weekly group facilitation.
2000 – 2006 University Community Ambulatory Medical U-CAM: taught yearly eight week course for University of Minnesota medical students interested in working in urban settings, Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center.
1998 – 2006 European American Responsibility and Identity: Taught yearly class.
2002 – 2004 Cultural Ways of Knowing: Guest annual speaker, College of St. Catherine’s Holistic Therapies Program.
1999 – 2003 Youth Empowerment and Community Building, Co-taught with staff from the Powderhorn Youth Farm Project, ongoing classes and groups.
1999 – 2003 Death and Dying Support Circle, Organizer and facilitator, monthly gatherings and on-going groups for care-givers.
Special Mentions, Awards, Grants:
- April 2010 Distinguished Educator Award: Awarded by Student Association. University of St Thomas, St. Paul, MN
- May 2008 Center for the Divine Feminine Merit Research Scholarship: Recipient awarded for doctoral research on women’s psycho-spiritual developmental processes. Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Palo Alto, CA
- Nov. 2006 Cultural Elders Recognition Award: Acknowledged and honored for nine years of service as social worker who embodied and facilitated cultural approaches to healing with community members and for training and preparing workers in health and social service professions in the same. Presented by Cultural Elders, the Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Dec. 2006 Community Wise Women Honoring: Presented by neighborhood and cultural elders. Acknowledged and honored as having completed a nine-year apprenticeship in community healing. Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1996 – 1998 Youth Crime Prevention Project: Grant recipient and manager. Awarded $100,000 for neighborhood youth leadership. Co-authored grant and worked with a group of adolescent and young adult girls leaving foster care to create and implement the youth operated program, “Lead the Way”.State of Minnesota awarded to Village Social Services, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1996 – 1997. Hennepin Connect Project Connect: Grant recipient and management for $25,000 for Rent Subsidy Program. The program offered North Minneapolis homeless families financial assistance and case management services. Village Social Services, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1993. Minnesota Health Prevention: Grant recipient and management of $40,000 for Adolescent Peer Education and Mentorship STD/HIV Prevention. Created and implemented peer leadership programs for adolescents and young adults in the following areas: health and wellness, sexuality, choice making, parenting, STD/HIV/AIDS education. Face to Face Health and Counseling Services, St. Paul, MN.
- 1989. Abigail Women’s Leadership Award: College of St. Catherine, St. Paul, MN
Professional Memberships and Licensure:
- Yoga Teacher Training, 200 hours (Yoga Center of Minneapolis), Registered, 2014
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Certified, 2013
- Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) 2006 – Present
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW), 1988 – Present
- Minnesota Society For Clinical Social Work, 2013 – Present
- Social Welfare Action Alliance (SWAA), 2011 – 2014
- The Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors (BPD), 2009-11
- Licensed Graduate Social Worker, 1993 – 1995
- Licensed Social Worker, 1990 -1993
Community Membership, Committees, and Organizations:
- SCU/UST Beta Epsilon, Honor Society Advisor, 2010-12
- SCU/UST Spirituality Institute, 2009-1211
- Board of Directors, Cultural Wellness Center, 1997 – 2010
- PPCWC, Law and Health Policy Committee, 2000 – 2011
- SCU/UST Social Work Club, Co-advisor, 2008-9
- Community Faculty, Powderhorn Phillips Cultural Wellness Center, 1998 – Present
- Neighborhood Food Share, Organizer, 2000 – 2006
- Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association, Member, 1998 – 2003
- European Cultural Counsel, Facilitator and Member, 1998 – 2006
- Coordinator, Powderhorn Farmer’s Market, 2000 – 2004
- Association for the Advancement of Hmong Women, 1998 – 2001
- Harriet Tubman Holistic Men’s Program, 1998 – 2001
- Heart of the Beast Puppet Theatre, 1998 – 2000
- Healthy Kids/Health Realization Model, Walker Church, 1998 – 2000
- Hope Community – Listening Project, 1998 – 2000
- Powderhorn Neighborhood Writers Festival, 1998
- Tastes, Tunes, and Textiles Fundraising Event, 1998-2003
- Advisory Committee: Children & Homelessness & Mental Illness, 1996 – 2000
- ENCORE, Lesbian Health Advisory Committee, 1993 – 1996
- Minnesota Adolescent Female Conference, Planning Committee, 1990 – 1994
- Survival Skills Institute, Board Member, 1987 – 1992
Community Creative Works:
- Performer: Winter Solstice, Wisdom Ways, St. Catherine University, 2009
- Writer, Director and Performer: Freyia, The Four-Fold Goddess, Short play with song, movement and poetry. Directed cast of 20. Revolutionary Women’s Cabaret. Minneapolis, MN, 2004.
- Creator and Director and Performer: Feile Brid: Festival of Brighid- Sacred Drama and Feast, Powderhorn Park. Minneapolis, MN, 1998-2010.
- Performer: Winter Solstice Midnight Dreams, In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theater. Minneapolis, MN, 2003.
- Performer: Barebones, Halloween Performance. Minneapolis, MN, 2002 – 2004.
- Director and Co-Creator: Community Celebrations and Sacred Drama, including Honoring the Dead, First Fruit Harvest and Midsummer. Various locations in Minneapolis and St. Paul. 1998- Present.
- Director and Performer: Honoring our Ancestors, Mankato Women’s Spirituality Conference, 1999.
- Creator and Director: Honoring Our European Ancestors, Illuminations, St. Catherine University, 1998.
- Creator and Ritualist: Welcoming the Maidens: Rites of Passage. Ceremony for adolescent girls, women and men, and elders in various locations in Metro Area, 1998 – Prese